Have you heard about porcelain veneers? They’re like an instant do-over for your smile. Veneers cover the surface of teeth to instantly restore or enhance their size, shape, color, and general appearance. No other cosmetic treatment is quite as transformative as porcelain veneers -- but how do they work, exactly? And are they the right solution for your smile? Find the answer to these and other important questions regarding dental veneers below.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Dental veneers are composed of multiple layers of thin, beautiful porcelain. Custom-made especially for you, they’re tooth-shaped coverings that are placed directly onto the front surface of the teeth that show when you smile. When cared for properly, dental veneers can be expected to last 10 to 20 years.
Patients who choose porcelain veneers for their smile enhancement enjoy the wealth of benefits associated with this cosmetic treatment. Some of these advantages include:
- Dental veneers correct a number of cosmetic imperfections all at once.
- Orthodontic treatment may be avoided with porcelain veneers (for minor orthodontic issues, like a slight gap).
- The procedure for porcelain veneers is minimally-invasive and painless.
- Porcelain is highly resistant to stains, so your teeth stay the same beautiful shade of white for years to come.
How Are Porcelain Veneers Done?
Traditionally, the procedure for porcelain veneers is completed in two visits to your cosmetic dentist’s office. Here’s what you can expect from each.
- The first visit: In this initial appointment, we’ll work out the details of your treatment to ensure you get precisely the look you want. After all, we know not everyone wants a super-bright celebrity smile. It can help to bring in photos of what you do and don’t like for this visit. After we’ve got a clear understanding of your desires with porcelain veneers, your cosmetic dentist will prepare your teeth and place temporary veneers. We’ll send the information we’ve gathered to our trusted lab, where your veneers will be created just for you.
- The second visit: In this final appointment, your veneers are ready for permanent placement. Dr. Olson will check to make sure they look and fit just the way they should. After you give the final approval, your new veneers will be securely bonded on using a light-sensitive resin.
A light anesthetic is available for both appointments to ensure your total comfort.
How Do I Care for My Porcelain Veneers?
After your treatment is complete, we know you’ll want to enjoy your fabulous results for as long as possible. So, how to care for porcelain veneers? It’s pretty simple, and not all that different from caring for your natural teeth. You should continue to brush for two minutes, at least twice a day. Use a non-abrasive toothpaste and brush in gentle, circular motions. Floss daily and visit your dentist as recommended to keep your porcelain veneers -- and the teeth beneath and around them -- healthy and beautiful for years to come.
Let’s Discuss Porcelain Veneers Today!
We’d love to get started on your new, improved smile with porcelain veneers. Now the question is, are you ready? Please call us to request your appointment today! Our office is located in Springfield, MO, and we warmly welcome patients from all surrounding communities.